Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Let's go GREEN!

I like doing storytimes that focus on a single color because it allows you to bring in many variations on a theme and you get some unexpected combinations. For Saint Patrick's Day, this is particularly fun and helpful because I'm not a huge fan of any St. Patrick's Day books. (I'm sure there are some gems out there that I'm completely missing.)

Books for green storytime:
Where is the green sheep by Mem Fox
Green eggs and ham by Dr. Seuss

Flannel Story:
Rattlin bog. I had a version of this, but I gave it up for Melissa's one here, because it was better!


Game:
Green eggs and ham game, (again) thanks to Melissa of Mel's Desk. This was so fun and such a good extension of the book. Ours very quickly turned into a chant and the kids loved coming up when their color was called. (I made 25+ so each child had a turn.)

Songs / Rymes:
5 Green and Speckled frogs (of course!)


Interactive Rhyme:
Hidden in the Green grass.  This will be my Flannel Friday contribution for this week, and we really had fun with it!  If you don't have time to make one, you can probably pull from various animals, bugs, items that you already have flannel-ized, and even just use grass on your flannel board.

Behind the green grass
You just never know
What you might see
Or what might grow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...